BRIDES BEWARE: Do not hire Tyrone Spencer to be your DJ at your wedding! He totally ruined our wedding, and I don't want him to ruin yours....
Being an event planner myself, I thought I had made a good decision on hiring Tyrone through Denon & Doyle. I had a phone interview with Tyrone beforehand, met him in person at their open house, met him again at the wedding rehearsal, and even met with the event director 5 days prior to our wedding to review all the details of our wedding, the flow, music list, etc.
Here's what went wrong on our wedding day:
- The microphone didn't work during our ceremony
- Tyrone had the WRONG music for our first dance; to make matters worse, he talked DURING our first dance. WTF?!?
- He didn't make any of the announcements that I asked him to, so all our guests didn't know where the restrooms were, when the shuttles were arriving/departing, where the dessert bar was, etc. He wasn't engaging/entertaining at all.
- When it was almost time for the first dance, he threatened our guests and said that they would be "locked in the dessert room" if they didn't take their seats right away (we had a mini dessert bar inside the venue)
- Tyrone said that he'd be able to create a mix of music for us for our first dance, but never followed through. I followed up with him 4 times, and heard nothing but crickets. So I had to ask my other buddy, who is a DJ, to create the music mix for us.
- During dancing, he basically just played a CD, and then did the disappearance act. Maybe he had the bad case of the runs and was sitting on the toilet all night...I don't know, but all I know was that he was MIA for a good portion of the night.
- This is the worst part.....we had written personalized, witty introductions for each person in our bridal party. Tyrone was supposed to read the introductions for each person as they walked out to a certain song. I had given this introduction to Tyrone at least a month in advance. Come show time, he COULD NOT read. He kept stuttering, pausing, and couldn't pronounce simple words like 'pig-dog' (which was our nickname for our dog, who was our ring bearer). He kept saying 'ping pong dong', which came across as very racial, as half our guests were asians.
It was so bad, the photo booth attendant who was also from Denon and Doyle, had to read the introductions for him. To make matters worse, Tyrone and the photo booth attendant were snickering and laughing throughout all this because they knew they were screwing up so badly.
You may be wondering if I'm exaggerating? Send me a note and I will gladly show you the video clip of this and you can see it for yourself. Tryone was completely HORRIBLE.
Needless to say, Denon and Doyle fully refunded me $1395 for Tyrone's services, but they never provided me with an explanation on why Tryone screwed up so badly even when we had a meeting to discuss all the details 5 days prior to our wedding.
I highly recommend another DJ company to make your special wedding day a memorable, fun one. Denon and Doyle proved that just one bad DJ can ruin the most important day of your life. :(
They did a great job, and are very thorough and reliable. However, do be sure to verify EVERY detail when you go through your confirmation the week before the wedding, or some things may be left out.
Click on each tool to see a sample.