we have been in business for over 20 years and serve the North East PA area.
I would certainly not only consider Powerhouse Sound but definitely go with Powerhouse Sound! When screening our choices of DJ's Powerhouse Sound was the first company to respond promptly with details and specific answers to all our questions with a very affordable price. John and Powerhouse Sound met all the criteria. We felt so comfortable with Powerhouse Sound that we went with them simply through emailing and talking over the phone, we didn't even have to meet. We took that saved time and energy in meeting to make sure the million other things were taken care of. There were minimal, if any, complications throughout the whole process from beginning to end. The DJ's announced the bridal party's names to the "t" and the older people in the crowd was very pleased that the speakers were loud, clear and free of static and "pops." The bubble machine was a pleasant surprise which created a very romantic, fun atmosphere during our well introduced first song "Then". We were then even given a couple maracas during the conga song, it was great and the people of all ages loved it! The DJ played every song we requested and planned on playing while organizing the list through email and phone. One part that really impressed us was that if the DJ had any questions or concerns with individual parts of the reception he immediately, and discretely asked either me, my wife or a member of the bridal party for clarity; he even asked us if we would like a drink before he announced our names - good man! We realized, when introducing the best before his speech, that we put the wrong name down on the paper (silly me), but the DJ noticed the mistake and corrected it without shame and keeping the guests happy and comfortable. We were very happy that every song requested to play by our guests was immediately on the computer at hand and instantly played, not just put on the bottom of the play list. The DJ and his staff were very prepared and trained to face and fix every situation! As for the professionalism of Powerhouse Sound, we were more than happy and even impressed. The DJ and staff were very well dressed and groomed. The were well mannered and treated all of our guests like a VIP. The reports and comments of the DJ from all of our guests and other vendors were nothing but positive and well received. They were very considerate of all our guests, mobile and immobile, alive and deceased. I loved when they played relaxing music during the dinner and had very smooth transitions between songs that flowed well. We had a wide variety and ages of guests at our wedding due to our large family on each side and surprisingly they were all happy and had their fair share of dance songs. The younger ones had some lessons on the old style dance moves and the older ones were up for the challenge on modern day hits. Overall we felt Powerhouse sound was prepared, professional, well planned and well polished. They most certainly got the job done in great detail. Have a great time and go with Powerhouse Sound!
I would just like to thank Power House for doing a wonderful job for my wedding. I was very impressed with the job they’ve done!!! I have a wide variety of guest, ranging from children to my grandparents (lol). I have to admit that I was a little concerned but they made it absolutely wonderful. They had the everyone dancing the night away!!! The DJ that was there was very friendly and played everything that we wanted. The sound and lights were amazing!!! I could not ask for anything else from Power House, they went above and beyond for me. They made me feel very comfortable as well as all of my guests! I would just like to thank you again. BTW I’ll be referring everyone to your company whether it be for a birthday party or a big event like a wedding!! One happy bride and her family!!
I would tread carefully if considering Powerhouse Sound. When we were initially deciding upon a DJ, we screened our choices with a number of questions ranging from experience to company stability. Powerhouse Sound met all the criteria, as far as we could tell. Our experience goes to show you that meeting your vendors in-person is almost always a better method than through e-mail or even over the phone. While all-in-all our wedding reception did go well, it was not without some complications. Within the DJ's scope of responsibility, here is where we think they fell short:
1) The DJ's announcement of the bridal party's names was a bit tardy because of equipment malfunction. Not a major issue, but worth noting.
2) The DJ's speakers experienced a brief, yet alarming, feedback during our first dance song while he turned off his bubble machine - an aspect of the electrical service that he should have been aware of before our wedding. The resulting "pop" startled all our guests, including us.
3) Speaking of bubble machines, we asked that none of these items/props (e.g. disco ball, bubble machine, maracas) be used at our reception in the first place. We were unpleasantly surprised each time they showed up during the evening, and especially during our first dance.
4) The DJ accidentally played our last song of the night about half-way through the evening. We had previously provided him with a note explicitly stating our last song, yet he still messed it up somehow.
5) We realized on short-notice that our walk-in song was not accounted for - an error deservedly on our part. We asked if he had the song or could get it. We were surprised to learn that (a) they did not have a copy of the song already (it was not an obscure song) and (b) they had no means of grabbing up such songs on-the-fly, even though it was our mistake. Thankfully, someone in the wedding party had an iPhone and downloaded it for the DJ. I would recommend you find a DJ with at least 3G capability to fulfill any on-the-fly requests.
6) The DJ played an incorrect version of a song, even though we had spelled out in advance exactly which version we wanted.
7) The DJ's questionable mini pony-tail / undercut hair style was a topic of much discussion throughout the evening. The hair style appeared unprofessional and ungroomed.
8) The DJ repeatedly ogled our younger female guests, which was reported to us later in the night. (Had we known or seen this for ourselves, we would have immediately called them on it.) This was uncomfortable for our guests that did take notice and it was extremely unprofessional of the DJ.
9) We let Powerhouse know that our wedding would have moments of bittersweetness, as the bride's mother had passed away a few months before the wedding. Despite our reminding them only a week before that the bride's father would be introduced by himself, Powerhouse began to announce 'Mr. and Mrs. _____' before correcting themselves. Given the recent passing, this was an awkward moment for the father, our guests, and our wedding party overall, and could have easily been avoided.
On the plus-side, the volume was at an appropriate level throughout the evening. They can also play music - they do that well. And there were certainly people on the dance floor having a good time. I would however note though that the halves of the evening were unintegrated. Our party was primarily a younger crowd similar to our age, yet almost exclusively older music was played for about the first three to four hours of our reception. Our handful of older guests appreciated this and enjoyed themselves, but the majority of guests then did not get out on the floor until close to the end of the night. As a result, we felt our party didn't really start until about the time it was set to end.
The part where I think they fell short was their level of preparedness, professionalism, and polish. Powerhouse Sound will get it done, but I would not consider their services again or recommend them, as they overlook the finer details.
Typical for what you would find in the region. I wish more people would have got up to dance, but we didn't have many young people at the wedding. More fun interaction with guests may have helped.
Click on each tool to see a sample.